Independent studies have documented hazardous drugs in the urine of healthcare workers . Exposure and uptake present serious hazards to health and safety. Studies have also shown that only airtight and leak-proof devices prevent chemical contamination.
Healthcare workers who handle hazardous drugs, including nurses and pharmacists, may be subject to acute and long term health risks. Multiple studies show that exposure to some lifesaving drugs may lead to cancer, reproductive problems, genetic conditions and other serious concerns.
The only CSTD with extensive third party evidence proving:
Protects the microbial state of vial contents*
Setting the standard in hazardous drug safe handling
Leading the way
* Data on file at BD.
1. Wick C, Slawson MH, Jorgenson JA, Tyler LS. Using a closed-system protective device to reduce personnel exposure to antineoplastic agents. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2003;60(22):2314-20.
2. Valanis BG, Vollmer WM, Labuhn KT et al. Acute symptoms associated with antineoplastic drug handling among nurses. Cancer Nurs. 1993; 16:288-95.
3. Preventing Occupational Exposures to Antineoplastic and Other Hazardous Drugs in Healthcare Settings. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No 2004-165; 2004.
4. Sessink P, Connor T, Jorgenson J, Tyler T. Reduction in surface contamination with antineoplastic drugs in 22 hospital pharmacies in the US following implementation of a closed system transfer device. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2011;17(1):39-48.
5. Jorgenson, J. A., et al. Contamination Comparison of Transfer Devices Intended for Handling Hazardous Drugs. Hosp Pharm. 2008;43:723?727.
6. Rowe EC, Savage SW, Rutala WA, Weber DJ, Gergen-Teague M, Eckel SF. An economic and microbiologic evaluation of single dose vial extension for hazardous drugs. J Oncology Practice. 2012;8(4):e45-e49.
7. McBride A, Holle LM, Westendorf C, et al. National survey on the effect of oncology drug shortages on cancer care. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013;70(7):609?617
Please visit us at:
Indiana Convention Center
September 29 - Octorber 1
ASHP Midyear 2016
Mandalay Bay Convention Center
Las Vegas, NV
Dec 4 - 8
Learn how to use the BD PhaSeal™ System: