History of BD in the UK
BD opened its first UK office in Wembley in 1965, with products being supplied via a distribution centre in Runcorn. Manufacturing operations within the UK commenced with the production of BD Vacutainer® tubes in Plymouth in 1981. Expansion of the sales and marketing operation led to a move from Wembley to Oxford in 1982. The Runcorn distribution centre was consolidated into the Plymouth facility in 1985, where a second manufacturing plant specialising in Discovery Labware was opened on a 27 acre site in 1989. The Bidford arm of BD's operations came with the purchase of the Visitec business in 1997, with Swindon following a year later upon the arrival of Ohmeda - the largest acquisition in BD's history. Other key acquisitions in the UK include Difco in 1994 (subsequently integrated into the European Diagnostic Systems business) and more recently Sheffield based Plasso in 2007, which has become part of Discovery Labware. Also in 2007 the Oxford office relocated to new premises on the prestigious Oxford Science Park. Today, BD employs over 1200 people across its UK plants and offices.
History of BD in Ireland
BD began operations in Drogheda in 1964 and is the longest established medical technology multinational company supported by the Industrial Development Agency (IDA). IDA is an Irish Government agency responsible for securing new investment from overseas in the manufacturing and internationally traded services sectors. By 1968, the Drogheda plant had expanded to more than double its size. Sales in the UK and continental Europe were growing rapidly, and a second BD plant in Dun Laoghaire opened in 1969. Today, BD in Ireland employs more than 450 associates at the Drogheda and Dun Laoghaire plants, as well as a trading office in Shannon, County Clare. During the last 10 years, BD has invested a total of €115 million in its Drogheda and Dun Laoghaire plants, creating state-of-the-art global manufacturing centres.