The BD Engineering Development Program (EDP) is our entry-level rotational program that provides new engineering graduates with experiences, tools and support. By leveraging these resources, participants can meaningfully contribute to our new product development efforts and improve currently marketed products.
The EDP consists of three one-year rotations providing challenging and valuable assignments that directly impact our company and its work addressing some of the world's most compelling health problems. The work assignments range from product feasibility, to implementation in R&D and manufacturing environments.
Each year, participants relocate to a new U.S. location, where they can explore new products, processes and people. Our goal is to expose them to the entire new product development process over the course of the program, preparing them to join a BD R&D group when exiting the program and lead new product development projects.
The diverse rotations—combined with coaching and development, and a built-in network—enable participants to build skills and explore a career in new product development, and prepare for future leadership opportunities.
Career development objectives
- Build foundational technical competence.
- Develop project leadership skills.
- Create a network of cross-functional colleagues throughout BD.
- Develop a solid understanding of the product development process and design control.
- Interact with a variety of customers.
- Gain exposure to senior leadership.
- A BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Materials Engineering
- An excellent academic record
- Strong leadership, communication and analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Medical device internship experience is a plus
- A willingness to relocate as needed to pursue rotational opportunities
- New product development – Work closely with R&D teams, and lead/assist project teams including professionals in marketing, regulatory affairs, quality assurance, biocompatibility, packaging, sterilization, legal and other corporate functions.
- Sustaining engineering – Improve processes and implement design enhancements by working closely with other engineers in one of our manufacturing facilities.
- Current rotations – Rotate among BD offices in Illinois, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Maryland, Oklahoma and California.