The mission for the Manufacturing Development Program (MDP) is to strengthen our company's manufacturing and engineering base by recruiting talented entry-level engineers and giving them meaningful manufacturing-related experience. Engineers, recruited from top schools, are placed in three one-year rotations, where they experience a wide variety of work assignments in manufacturing support engineering, process engineering, project management, lean manufacturing, quality and design.
MDP associates are placed on a leadership path early in their careers. Accelerated learning opportunities and diverse experiences allow MDP associates to shape the future of BD manufacturing by giving them the following opportunities:
- Experience rapid development and exposure to the "big picture."
- Gain exposure to continuous improvement initiatives such as Six Sigma and lean production.
- Create a unique network of colleagues throughout BD.
- Develop skills to improve leadership, project planning, conflict resolution and teamwork.
Participants will potentially take on diverse roles in the following areas:
- Manufacturing support engineering – Support daily manufacturing operations through hands-on work on the production floor and on the automated production equipment. Empower the people who manufacture BD products by driving safety, quality, delivery and cost initiatives.
- Process engineering – Act as a project lead or team member to identify and drive efficiency improvements of manufacturing equipment and associated processes related to product and process performance.
- Lean manufacturing – Learn and apply lean methodologies to drive lean- and Six Sigma-based continuous improvement projects to support key business initiatives.
- Design – Learn about new products, processes and technologies for BD. Your technical abilities will be challenged and strengthened as you work with a cross-functional team to support developing future products and markets for BD.
- A strong desire for a career in manufacturing
- A BS in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Chemical Engineering or an equivalent engineering field
- Enthusiasm and an ability to relocate three times in three years (relocation support will be provided)
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- An ability to take initiative and quickly adapt to new professional environments
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without restriction as to duration