Latest Release of Industry-Leading Pyxis ES platform Advances Enterprise-wide Medication Management and Patient Safety Across Continuum of Care
FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., Sept. 12, 2016 – BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, today announced general availability of the latest software release of Pyxis™ ES System, delivering patient safety and workflow benefits for health systems’ medication management.
Key innovations and enhancements in the new software version include:
- Advanced server scalability and optimization to meet the needs of growing health systems with flexible deployment options and centralized database management features.
- Expanded return and waste processes to support patient safety and clinical efficiency with workflow, documentation and interface enhancements.
- Support for advanced half-height CUBIE BD drawers and pockets, bringing enhanced security and reliability to the flexible storage space and configurability options for which CUBIE technology is known.
- New Medication Label Module that can print a patient-specific medication label upon removal to support patient safety and compliance with Joint Commission requirements. Proper medication labeling can help reduce medication errors, missing doses, and waste caused by mislabeled, open multi-use medications.
- Enhanced server functionality to provide more flexibility through medication configuration and user permissions, plus improved reporting features. These features support system and data security as well as medication safety and standardization.
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center has been an early adopter of the latest Pyxis ES system release and has currently deployed the Pyxis ES System across four facilities in a highly complex IT environment.
“Migrating to an enterprise platform has provided us with a reliable and efficient architecture that has improved access to information and has had a significant impact on many of our processes, including the provisioning of users as well as formulary management,” said Michael Mohundro, senior director at Our Lady of the Lake. “We are leveraging the most innovative technologies to ensure patient safety is a key priority for our organization. Upgrading to the latest version of the Pyxis ES platform has become a seamless process with the support of the BD team, and this has given us access to the most advanced technology available.”
The Pyxis ES System is an enterprise-ready, scalable, web–accessible platform specifically designed to improve medication management across the continuum of care. It is comprised of the industry leading Pyxis™ Enterprise Server, Pyxis MedStation™ ES system, Pyxis™ Anesthesia ES system and ancillary software solutions designed to help improve medication safety, streamline standardization efforts and reduce costs. BD is currently providing its enterprise-wide Pyxis ES solution to eight of the 10 largest integrated delivery networks (IDNs) in the U.S. as identified by IMS Health and HIMSS Analytics.
“Today, more than 1,000 health care facilities have adopted the Pyxis ES System, giving mainstream adoption to our medication management platform across large IDNs, hospitals and health systems,” said Ranjeet Banerjee, worldwide president of Medication Management Solutions for BD. “As our customers embrace enterprise-wide platform integration, we continue to innovate and evolve the Pyxis ES platform to ensure health providers can meet the growing regulatory demands, effectively integrate systems, reduce costs, all while continuing to improve quality of care.”
The Pyxis ES platform promotes a patient-centric healthcare model, leveraging healthcare information technology systems and Active Directory integration to enable a single health system formulary, simplified identity management and workflow enhancements. The platform enables pharmacists to manage medications remotely and eliminate redundant tasks. Nurses can readily access secured medications using safe, simple workflows centered on the patient.
To download the Pyxis ES Platform white paper, visit: bd.com/PyxisES-WP
For more information about the Pyxis medication management solutions, visit carefusion.com.
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. The company supports the heroes on the frontlines of health care by developing innovative technology, services and solutions that help advance both clinical therapy for patients and clinical process for health care providers. BD and its 65,000 employees have a passion and commitment to help enhance the safety and efficiency of clinicians' care delivery process, enable laboratory scientists to accurately detect disease and advance researchers' capabilities to develop the next generation of diagnostics and therapeutics. BD has a presence in virtually every country and partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. By working in close collaboration with customers, BD can help enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.