BD sharps disposal by mail
Simply mail away your sharps
BD sharps disposal by mail provides a prepaid box you can use to mail in your used insulin syringes, pen needles and lancets for destruction. Just one package satisfies all sharps containment, transportation, treatment, disposal and tracking needs, enabling you to prevent your sharps from injuring others.
The BD sharps disposal by mail container holds up to 300 pen needles or lancets, or up to 100 insulin syringes.
After filling out the tracking form, you can keep a copy for your records. The tracking form will be scanned, and a certificate of destruction will be mailed back to you, confirming the destruction of your sharps container.
The BD sharps disposal by mail kit includes a red wrapping bag and a prepaid mailing box.
Simply put your used insulin syringes, pen needles or lancets into the sharps disposal by mail container.
3. Complete the form
Fill out the tracking form, and keep a copy for your records.
When the sharps container is full, seal it. Place it into the red bag, and then place the bag inside the prepaid mailing box.
Give the closed mailing box to your mail carrier, or take it to the post office.
After the treatment facility receives your mailing box, they will scan your tracking form and mail back a certification of destruction.
If you cannot access BD sharps disposal by mail, and your community does not enforce specific disposal rules, follow the following guidelines:
- Never throw loose sharps into the trash, whether at home or away from home.
- Never flush sharps down the toilet.
- Remove needles from insulin syringes and pen needles using the BD Safe-Clip™ needle clipping and storage device, and put the rest of the insulin syringe or pen needle in your BD home sharps container. Do not recap or clip a needle that has been used by another person. This can lead to accidental needlesticks, which may cause serious infections. Do not attempt to remove the needle without the BD Safe-Clip needle clipping and storage device because the needles could fall, fly off, or get lost and injure someone.
- Put your used insulin syringes, pen needles and lancets in a sharps container.
- When your BD home sharps container is full, seal it and check with your community how to dispose of it properly. If, as a last resort, you choose to put it in a trash receptable, do not place it in a recycling bin, as insulin syringes and pen needles are not recyclable.
- Keep sharps containers away from children.
- Never handle someone else's insulin syringe unless a healthcare professional trains you in proper injection technique and disposal.
|Catalog no.||NDC/HRI no.||Description||e-catalog|
||BD sharps disposal by mail
BD sharps disposal by mail can be purchased at many pharmacies.