Before every access
- Swab the top of the needle-free valve with 70% isopropyl alcohol for 2-5seconds.
- Let the valve dry for approximately 30 seconds. The dry time depends on the temperature, humidity and ventilation of the area.
- The BD SmartSite™ Bag is empty and ready to fill with custom compounds.
- Fill the BD SmartSite™ Bag with medications or dilutant through the needle-free valve.
- The needle-free valve may be repeatedly accessed according to the IFU.
- Mix contents per facility protocols.
To administer the contents of the BD SmartSite™ Bag through the spike port:
Clinicians first remove the twist-off spike port cap to expose the pierceable septum of the spike port. An IV administration set with a spike is then used to spike the bag and access the contents for administration to a patient.
To administer the contents of the BD SmartSite™ Bag through the needle-free valve:
Clinicians first swab the needle-free valve using a 70% isopropyl alcohol, according to the IFU. The ISO 594-compatible male Luer accessory (either directly or indirectly connected to an administrative set) is then attached to the needle-free valve to access the contents of the bag for administration to a patient.